WordPress Oxford: September MeetUp
After a summer hiatus, WordPress Oxford returned with the latest event: “The Power of Gutenberg Blocks” and how to master block patterns and reusable blocks. A real deep dive into how to add dimension to your website copy.Category: Events | Read time: 10 minutes Read more
WordPress Oxford – Who are we?
WordPress Oxford is WordPress community event that welcomes all skill levels, new to experienced and offers a wealth of talks and discussions around various different topics of the day with WordPress.
Since the pandemic we have met every other month online and this has allowed the group to expand its reach and welcome new members from across the UK as well as the internationally – United States. Which is extremely for me as an organiser of the event
In 2019, I took over as co-organiser of the group and overhauled the structure of the event. Still keeping it flexible for those who attend but with the event focus around a key topic.
Examples of previous topics
- WooCommerce – Building an ecommerce store on your WordPress website
- Accessibility – Improve your website accessibility – Celebrating World Accessibility Day 2021
- Gutenberg – An introduction to the new editor (Dec 2018)
This months event
We have a great attendance again this month – thank you to those who joined. A real mix of experience that made for a really great event. Really lovely feedback – so thank you again.
Building on a the initial talk we did on Gutenberg back in December 2018, this months event was building on what advancements that have happened since its inception into WordPress.
It has gone through many different development cycles since that have evolved the editor a long way since then. During the event we provided a deep dive into the power the blocks have when producing content.
We covered during the event
- Blocks – Overview of the default blocks available with a WordPress install
- Reusable Blocks
- Pattern Blocks
- The future around “Full Site Editing”
Want to get involved in WordPress Oxford?
Being involved in WordPress Oxford is extremely rewarding. The opportunity to be able to connect with a wide variety of WordPress users and help support them in their growth with the Content Management System is brilliant.
I am always on the lookout for other individuals who would like to support the community and help organise and support the events.
Future Reading – Resources
- Pattern Library – https://wordpress.org/patterns/
- Gutenberg Editor – https://wordpress.org/gutenberg/
- Deep dive into the Gutenberg Editor – https://kinsta.com/blog/gutenberg-wordpress-editor/